Riding your bike everyday instead of the car is a wise decision that not only helps to decrease the levels of smoke in the city, but it’s also healthier for everybody. However, do not forget that there are other vehicles on the road, that could endanger your safety.
The cyclist will always be the most vulnerable and fragile vehicle in the road, and any mistake can have a tragic ending. We want to recommend you to follow these advises; your life is at stake.
Safety tips to ride your bike in the city
1. The basic: always wear a helmet and check your bike before starting your ride. Make sure that the wheels are well adjusted, that they have the right pressure, that the saddle is ok etc.
2. Make yourself visible: always wear striking colours. Or even better, wear a reflective vest. Lights are a most, even if you are riding under daylight (white light at the front, red at the back).
3. Ride safely, at any time: try to be predictible for the rest of the drivers , and do not manouver in an abrupt or unexpected way.
4. Be careful with the doors of the cars that are parked at the side. It may sound unfair, but many timess we need to predict the movements of those clueless drivers, so it’s recomendable to drive slowly and pay attention that there is nobody inside of the car who may be opening a door as we ride by. Keep your safety-distance.
5. Always make everybody aware of your movements. You can make a gesture with your left or right arm depending to where you are turning to.
6. Pay attention to the parking spaces, prams at zebra crossings, children running and, especially, dogs on a extensible dog leash.
7. Never ride on the sidewalk. Not only is dangerous, but it is also illegal.
8. Avoid listening to music while you ride. It’s important to hear while you are riding in the city. Riding with headphones is dangerous, prevents you from hearing properly and distracts you from the road as well.
9. Never use a mobile phone: if you receive a phone call, stop and deal with it, but don’t do it while riding.
10. Use a identifying bracelet: in case you have any issue while riding your bike, using a Safesport ID bracelet guarantees that the emergency services will have all the information necessary, and that your loved ones will be notified immediately. More information about our bracelets here.